Sunday, April 09, 2006

Charlotte- Mimosa Grill

I'll be honest. I didn't expect much from Charlotte in terms of a great meal. Sure, I knew I would come across bar-be-que (the first night we enjoyed pulled pork sandwiches accented by traditional carolina bbq sauce- aka mustard sauce, which doesn't always rest well with my Texas bbq palate). I looked forward to sweet tea, more out of nostalgia than enjoyment of the oft-sickly sweet beverage. And I expected the likes of Waffle House, Shoney's and Captain D-esque chains to dot the landscape.

So stumbling upon the stylish and very affordable Mimosa Grill made me scratch my head and change my mind a bit. Each of the booths in this restaurant feel intimate and comfortable. My server brought out a menu with a three course "Sunday Comforts" section for $20.06 (last year the cost on was 20.05... can anyone guess next year's price?) Among the options listed were the likes of shrimp bisque, Southern chicken and dumplings. I settled on the Fried Green Tomatoes and Shrimp Remoulade. While I waited, my server brought out a small homemade biscuit and cornbread in the shape of a corncob, accented by a tab of honey butter and a sherry infused sultana-cherry compote.

The tomatoes came out crisp and steaming- just like they should be, resting on a bed of arugula and infused basil oil tracing the plate. As I waited for my "Grandma's Chicken Pot Pie" with herbed crust, I polished off the last of my biscuit, of my cornbread. Every plate drew in the eye, while the flavors revealed more than just a pretty plate. The pot pie filled me to the core and had an adult edge complete with woody mushrooms and leeks matching up with kiddie cut carrots and peas.

My doggie bag held a prize for the end of my evening- their signature pecan pie. I am a finicky pecan pie eater, considering the pecan pies of my past involve fresh pecans from the trees in my backyard in Texas and my aunt's killer pie recipe. So my expectations for anything involving "signature" were definitely high. And the layer of dark chocolate above the crust provides an interesting twist, but at the end of the day let's say in this regard I am a traditionalist. I hope to go back to Mimosa Grill again before I leave, if only to experience their baked lobster macaroni and cheese. I stand corrected, North Carolina.

  • NOISE LEVEL: Pleasant
  • GOOD FOR KIDS: Only older and well behaved children
  • PRICE: $-$$
  • SERVICE: Very Good
  • GROUP FRIENDLY: Group-friendly
  • COOL QUOTIENT: Packed on a Sunday night, this would be a great place any night of the week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elenannelies said...

In what city is this "Charlotte-Mimosa Grill"?

Glad you have good memories of our backyard with all the pecan tree's
I agree my sisters make great pies

By the way Tita gave me one of those pans for cornbread that look like a corn cob. Let me know if you want it so I can send it to you. I too miss Texas Bar-B-Que.

Mom

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home